Church History
Messiah's History...

On July 1, 1897, the Piedmont Land and Manufacturing Company sold two tracts of land, totaling 50 x 150 feet, on the corner of Second Avenue and Adams Street to the bishop and two trustees of the Episcopal Church, Diocese of North Carolina. The purchase price was $1.00. The bishop then acted to commission the Reverend James Henry Williams of Kentucky, serving at the time as the vicar of St. John’s Episcopal Church in Madison, to obtain an architect, build a church, organize a congregation and divide his time between his other duties and the new congregation.

This project took more than a year. Even though the first service was held on September 26, 1897, the church was not officially organized until April 1, 1898. Known originally as Grace Church, the name of the church was soon changed to the Church of the Messiah.

In the 1898 parochial report to the diocese, a paragraph was added by Reverend Williams:

“The new church was opened (in an unfinished state) on September 26, since which time the work has been continued as money could be raised, and an organ and bell have been procured and paid for. But still seats are needed for the choir, another coat of paint on the outside of the church and the yard enclosed. The regular organization of a congregation dates from April 1, 1898.”

On November 13, 1898, Bishop Cheshire made his first Episcopal visit to Mayodan. He led Evening Prayer and preached. On February 16, 1899, Mayodan was chartered as an incorporated town. An election was held by the citizens and W. C. Ruff in was elected Mayodan’s first Mayor. Mr. Ruff in is also listed in the Episcopal Church Register as a charter member of the organizing congregation of the Church of the Messiah.

Today, more than 119 years since its founding, the Church of the Messiah’s commitment to the ministry and teachings of Christ is ever increasing as we continue to celebrate the presence of God’s love in our midst.
Early picture of the chuch
First group picture of the members
An early picture of the church.
(click on the image for a larger view)
First group picture of the members
(click on the image for a larger view)
www.MayodanEpiscopalChurch.com